Friday, August 19, 2011

Who wants to use Google+ for virtual music lessons?

I am looking for a few early adopters, who also happen to be Native American Flute players and who are interested in experimenting with the Google+ Hangout feature as a remote teaching tool.


If you are somewhat savvy with computers, have a webcam and mic on your PC, and you'd like to try this experiment, then please reach out to me.


Here's how it works:

  • Google+ is the new social media platform from Google. (it's a competitor to Facebook)
  • You'll need to join Google+ on your own or email me to give you an invite. (look for the email address in the blog header).
  • If you're already on Google+ then send me a friend request.
  • Google+ using the concept of "circles" of friends to connect you with other Google+ members. The cool thing about this is that you can separate your work friends from your personal friends, from your music friends.
  • Once we're connected, I can create what's known as a "Hangout". This is simply a webcam conferencing feature which let's any of your "Friends" in a given "circle" join the hangout.

How to Use a Hangout to teach remotely?

  • This what I want to experiment with. Leveraging my webcam and a microphone, I want to see how easily we can work together for a remote teaching experience. I have no idea how well this will work... 
  • But the premise is cool, because everyone who joins the hangout will be able to see each other, hear each other and I am hoping that it enables everyone to share together.
  • If it works, then I'll setup a hangout for predefined times of the week when I can be available to help you improve your playing.
Who's in?


2 comments:

The Ubiquitous Mr. Siouxmoux said...

Have you had any success with G+ Hangouts for an Virtual Flute Circle? There was Video Chat set up at Fluteportal.com but admins closed it down since no one ever use it. Also I seen posts over on Fluteportal and NAFs yahoo groups on starting an Virtual Flute Circle via skype for far only afew people are interest Participation in one. But I have seen 1 on 1 flute classes to be offered via skype

The Ubiquitous Mr. Siouxmoux said...

Have you had any success with G+ Hangouts for an Virtual Flute Circle? There was Video Chat set up at Fluteportal.com but admins closed it down since no one ever use it. Also I seen posts over on Fluteportal and NAFs yahoo groups on starting an Virtual Flute Circle via skype for far only afew people are interest Participation in one. But I have seen 1 on 1 flute classes to be offered via skype